Monday

Cat v Squirrel



So I happened to be walking around the house aimlessly like one of those Bears you see in Romanian Zoo's when I came across a sight. One of my Mum's cats, Tammy or was it Poppy..? Either way they both got the gayest names you could give to a cat. She's the really psychotic one that always brings in dead birds, mice, babies etc. I mean seriously, she's a nut job, even the other cats stay away from her. She's kinda like the Charles Manson of her feline generation. A few weeks back she brought in this little bird which got away from her and sought refuge in a corner. The poor thing clearly had a broken leg and was clearly on it's last legs (sorry, couldn't help it-hehe). So I put the blighter in a tissue box to calm it down and keep it warm etc. But of course the little rascal was faking it-no sooner had I turned my back when it tried to fly out of the clear glass conservatory door. Which was pretty funny because it was closed at the time.

Anyway, I'm walking past when I see Tammy having a rather vigorous staring competition with the squirrel that lives in the attic through the living room window. Alas, Tammy's lust to rip the shit out of Mrs. Periwinkle (the squirrel, who I'm not sure is actually married but I'll investigate that for a future blog), was impeded by the large pain of glass.

Now there's this grape vine that grows by the corner of the house that runs all the way up to the roof and provides an easy means of elevation for the said squirrel to her lush penthouse in the attic. And it was from there that she was looking down through the window at Genghis ' the cat' Kahn who was giving some serious eyeballing in return. Tammy eventually starts clawing at the window and looks to me for intervention. However, being neutral in this evolutionary battle of wills I wasn't going to get involved, besides I didn't want to spoil the entertainment.

But the whole thing made me think of how there have been squirrels living in the attic for years, generation upon generation; like Star Trek but furry. I even used to feed them nuts by hand until that incident with my nuts... er, anyway they've been there so long I think they have a legal right to claim renters' rights, the little buggers. And there have been generations of cats who've tried in vain to catch them. The last two cats (Kiri and Sushi, again with the names... ) were pretty inventive though, but after years of scheming, mysterious injuries and Vets bills they gave up. Seriously, when you see one of your cats walk by whistling with a nail gun it kinda shocks you; I didn't even know cats could whistle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home